The status quo that people face has altered our ways of life. It has controlled us to express our thoughts, made all of us stay at home, and turned our lives into a boring state. Of course, we have paid attention to the very subtle details of the given policies and rules from the local and national governments. However, we have been close enough to surrender. We have become tired of waiting to end this crisis. We have lost everything as we have not fully adapted to the so-called new normal. We have become crazy in a way that we do not know what to do. We just buy pots and plant plants. Others tend to resort to playing mobile legends; whereas, some turn into Netflix. And yet, we have known that some of our friends had to find ways to survive. We drive tricycles like Eric Fructuoso, sell Siomai like Ate Gay, and retail fruit gummies like me. And then, we have become tired of doing this over and over again that we have lost our chances to unwind. Since this pandemic comes near its end, I hope so, we should consider finding ways to unwind. Perhaps, we can go camping beside the hills, swimming in the pool, trekking into the hilly forest. If we do some of these adventure activities, perhaps, we can eliminate the trails of stress and the remnants of frustration that the present condition showers on us. How about going to Katubhan and Mat-I Falls?
Location of Katubhan falls and Mat-i falls
Katubhan falls and Mat-i falls, which are the twin falls, are located at Barangay Mat-i, Claveria, Misamis Oriental. From Claveria, we spend around 30-45 minutes of trekking on a steep trail in the area within the stunning landscape. Trekkers and vacationers can experience a great adventure and an awesome experience. These twin waterfalls become the gorgeous possessions of Claveria municipality. Explorers and holidaymakers describe this twin falls as a congruently challenging in terms of both tracks with their imposing panoramic views given by nature.
How Do We Get There
We only take one hour and thirty minutes to go to Claveria if we are from Cagayan de Oro City. Here is what we do.
- We need to communicate with the Claveria Tourism Office first.
- Next, we have to hire our local guides. As recommended by Sir Jhong, we can choose either Ar-Ar Abrogar with his mobile phone dial 09755496786 or Kokong Bear Andam with his mobile phone dial 09059610895. We only pay ₱00 for the tour guide fee for 10 trekkers.
- From Agora Terminal, Cagayan de Oro, we take an air-conditioned van bound to Claveria for only ₱00. We expect 1 hour and 30 minutes to arrive at the destination.
- Then, we meet our local guides in Claveria. Once we do, we take bao-bao, dulog, tuktok, tri-cab, or whatever you call it, going to Barangay Mat-i. Each trekker will pay ₱00 per person. We spend 30 minutes in Mat-i Town.
- Moreover, we have to be ready and prepare for our knees because we have to hike downhill so steep that we need to take a pause. This descending trek to the falls seems perfect for those adventurous persons.
- As well, we cross the river as we head toward the falls. As we cross and trek the river, we make sure we have waterproof bags to keep our belongings dry since we expect the river to be knee-deep level.
- Since we food corner shops are unavailable, we have to bring our food and water.
- As responsible trekkers and citizens, we bring our trash bags to keep those food wrappers and others as we maintain the area to be clean. We do not need to leave our trash in the site to preserve sanitation around the waterfalls and anywhere in the vicinity.
So, if we are ready, we set the timetable and make things possible. We would like to thank the following people: AboutCagayandeOro.Com, Sir Jhong, and the Pack of Wolves, as well as the Claveria Tourism Office and Tour Guides.